The VT KnowledgeWorks Global Student Entrepreneurship Challenge celebrates the energy and creativity of university students and their important contributions to the global economy, and encourages them to develop their entrepreneurial ideas. The event kicks-off with a two-day trip in Washington D.C., August 11-13, to enjoy sightseeing trips to museums and monuments, and participate in private tours. Attendees will shift to Roanoke and Blacksburg, Virginia, by a chartered bus to enjoy a week-long celebration of entrepreneurship, August 13-20, 2016, where students are housed with local families, spend interactive time with successful technology companies, and enjoy fellowship with each other and with Virginia Tech students during festive meals and social gatherings.
· Review the rules
to nominate a student team to the Global Student Entrepreneurship Challenge.
Thanks to our generous sponsors, participating students will incur no food or lodging expenses during their weeklong stay in Virginia. Students or their sponsors are responsible for transportation to and from their home countries and a minimal event registration fee. Based on the 2016 student track agenda, attendees should fly into the Washington Dulles International Airport, for events centered in Washington D.C., August 11-13; students can depart conveniently from the Roanoke-Blacksburg Regional Airport, August 20, in light of the event concluding in Roanoke, Virginia (about four hours from Washington D.C., by car or bus).
Benefits to participants:
Two-day trip to Washington D.C., August 11-13 to explore our Nation's Capital, including...
· Sightseeing trips to museums and monuments
· Participate in private tours
· Enjoy celebratory meals
Week-long stay in Roanoke and Blacksburg, Virginia, August 13-20...
· Chance to compete for a $25,000 Grand Prize, $10,000 Second Place Prize, and $5,000 People's Choice Award
· Ownership of awards and team name engraved on the VT KnowledgeWorks Trophy
· Presentation coaching with local, technology-based American companies
· Lodging provided by local host families
· Regional shopping
· Virginia Tech campus, Center for the Arts, and Lane Stadium tours
· Banquets and social gatherings with Virginia Tech students
· Opportunity to build your global network with other university students
... ALL FREE for competing student team members!
All cash prizes are subject to tax and will be withheld from the prize payment.The standard withholding rate is 30%.
- Plastics One
Advanced Manufacturing Award for the outstanding tangible product
· $10,000 - VT KnowledgeWorks Information Technology Award for the outstanding intangible product or service
· $15,000 - An additional $15,000 grand prize for one of the two teams that receive the Advanced Manufacturing Award or the Information Technology Award, by selection of the judging panel. As a permanent tribute to their exceptional efforts, the winning team’s name will be engraved on the permanent VT KnowledgeWorks trophy, which resides in at VT KnowledgeWorks.
- People’s Choice Award sponsored by Virginia Tech's Outreach and International Affairs.
The People’s Choice award will be selected by vote of the event attendees. The team/concept with the highest overall ranking by the attendees, and which is not selected by the judging panel for either the First or Second Place award, will earn the $5,000 People’s Choice award.